accessibilité: saut au contenu


Résultats

Nous avons trouvé 34 éléments semblables.
Collaborateurs Marathon District Museum & Historical Society   Médias   
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • CPR Station - Penninsula (~1934-45)
    CPR Station - Penninsula (~1934-45)
    Image       Originally the station was on the north side of the town, but was later moved to the south side to make way for an additional siding. Because it had the largest room in town, the station was often used for court sessions, church services and for parties and dances.
    Image     Originally the station was on the north side of the town, but was later moved to the south side to make way for an additional siding. Because it had the ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • CPR Bridge Crossing Big Pic River (~1889)
    CPR Bridge Crossing Big Pic River (~1889)
    Image       A view of Heron Bay and Big Pic River. A wooden trestle bridge was constructed to span the river. The main support was then constructed. Once the iron work had arrived and was installed, the wooden trestle was dismantled.
    Image     A view of Heron Bay and Big Pic River. A wooden trestle bridge was constructed to span the river. The main support was then constructed. Once the iron work had ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • CPR Station - Heron Bay (~1949)
    CPR Station - Heron Bay (~1949)
    Imagecomment       A train steams into the Heron Bay Station on a crisp winter day. This station burned down in 1953 and a new station was built across the road, near the present day McCuaig General Store. The second station was dismantled about 1991, following the discontinuation of VIA passenger service along ...
    Imagecomment     A train steams into the Heron Bay Station on a crisp winter day. This station burned down in 1953 and a new station was built across the road, near the ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Steamer at Heron Bay (~1889)
    Steamer at Heron Bay (~1889)
    Image       In 1885, Heron Bay was known as Heron Bay Subdivision, and was primarily used to supply locomotives with fuel. The steamer would fit between the shore and CPR Island (Coal Island), north of the Pic River mouth. Here the first steam locomotive on the spur line would be unloaded. This ...
    Image     In 1885, Heron Bay was known as Heron Bay Subdivision, and was primarily used to supply locomotives with fuel. The steamer would fit between the shore and CPR Island (Coal ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • The Village of Jackfish (~1889)
    The Village of Jackfish (~1889)
    Imagecomment       Photograph showing the village of Jackfish, Ontario, circa 1889. Jackfish began as a fishing village in the 1870's. In 1884, the CPR began using Jackfish as a landing for construction supplies. Along with the wharf (lower left), a 600 foot trestle coal dock was constructed. Coal was unloaded from the ...
    Imagecomment     Photograph showing the village of Jackfish, Ontario, circa 1889. Jackfish began as a fishing village in the 1870's. In 1884, the CPR began using Jackfish as a landing for construction ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • New Age of locomotives - CPR (~1949)
    New Age of locomotives - CPR (~1949)
    Image       December 5, 1949 created quite a stir for Marathonians, when the CPR showed off the new General Motors Diesel Ltd. locomotives that would shortly be replacing the old steam locomotives. That day, number 7001 stayed long enough for the residents to walk around and admire its beauty.
    Image     December 5, 1949 created quite a stir for Marathonians, when the CPR showed off the new General Motors Diesel Ltd. locomotives that would shortly be replacing the old steam locomotives. ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Historic North Shore
    Historic North Shore
    Image       CPR archives lists this photo simply as 'Historic North Shore: Lake Superior District, Ontario' It is speculated that the men in this photo could be returning from the west, where they fought in the Louis Riel Rebellion of 1885. That rail journey from Red Rock to Winnipeg was 24 hrs ...
    Image     CPR archives lists this photo simply as 'Historic North Shore: Lake Superior District, Ontario' It is speculated that the men in this photo could be returning from the west, where ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Logging - Horse Drawn Sleigh
    Logging - Horse Drawn Sleigh
    Image       Peninsula Harbour on the Pic River was a significant link in the construction of the railway. Peninsula was the base of operations for the most difficult and costly phase of the entire construction program. Railroad tie sawmills were an industry along the shore of the Pic River.
    Image     Peninsula Harbour on the Pic River was a significant link in the construction of the railway. Peninsula was the base of operations for the most difficult and costly phase of ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Logging at Peninsula
    Logging at Peninsula
    Image       Mechanization began to replace horsepower. Here a tractor is used to pile logs.
    Image     Mechanization began to replace horsepower. Here a tractor is used to pile logs.
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Marathon
    Marathon
    Image       A postcard of the town of Marathon. In the foreground is the Everest Hotel. The Everest Hotel dorms, located behind the train station, housed single men, mill and woodyard workers. The little square building behind the Everest was the taxi stand. In the background, is the CPR 'Canadian' passenger train, ...
    Image     A postcard of the town of Marathon. In the foreground is the Everest Hotel. The Everest Hotel dorms, located behind the train station, housed single men, mill and woodyard workers. ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Marathon Train Station
    Marathon Train Station
    Image       The Marathon Station opened for business June 3, 1946 before it was even completed. Until 1953 when the western section of the Trans Canada Highway was finally opened, the only way in or out of Marathon was by train.
    Image     The Marathon Station opened for business June 3, 1946 before it was even completed. Until 1953 when the western section of the Trans Canada Highway was finally opened, the only ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Marathon Train Station
    Marathon Train Station
    Image       Photo of Marathon Train Station In April of 1944, work began on the mill site. The General Timber depot near the CPR tracks became construction headquarters. Temporary board and tar paper buildings sprang up to the east.
    Image     Photo of Marathon Train Station In April of 1944, work began on the mill site. The General Timber depot near the CPR tracks became construction headquarters. Temporary board and tar ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Mink Tunnel
    Mink Tunnel
    Imagecomment       Located approximately 15 miles west of Marathon, this view is looking east towards the town. As faithful passengers on the Canadian, one of the highlights of each trip was going through the tunnels, especially in the daylight, when the interior passengers lights were turned off. For a few moments that ...
    Imagecomment     Located approximately 15 miles west of Marathon, this view is looking east towards the town. As faithful passengers on the Canadian, one of the highlights of each trip was going ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Red Sucker Tunnel
    Red Sucker Tunnel
    Image       The Canadian Pacific Railway completed this section of track while the troops were headed for Manitoba from Ottawa to suppress the Red River rising led by Louis Riel in 1885.
    Image     The Canadian Pacific Railway completed this section of track while the troops were headed for Manitoba from Ottawa to suppress the Red River rising led by Louis Riel in 1885.
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Trans Canada Highway Construction
    Trans Canada Highway Construction
    Image       The Government of Ontario was proceeding with work on Highway 17 in 1949. By 1950, it was decided that the route would include Marathon, Ontario, on the Trans Canada Highway. The construction was to be completed by 1951. In this photo, a construction tractor hauls rocks from an area to ...
    Image     The Government of Ontario was proceeding with work on Highway 17 in 1949. By 1950, it was decided that the route would include Marathon, Ontario, on the Trans Canada Highway. ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Trans Canada and CPR Bridge
    Trans Canada and CPR Bridge
    Imagecomment       This coloured postcard reveals the beauty surrounding the Big Pic River and Heron Bay on the shore of Lake Superior. Possible hazards of the road were dramatized one late October day when a 'Eulid' truck crashed through the guard rails to the bridge 10 ft. below. It was there that ...
    Imagecomment     This coloured postcard reveals the beauty surrounding the Big Pic River and Heron Bay on the shore of Lake Superior. Possible hazards of the road were dramatized one late October ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Freight Train with Royal Crest
    Freight Train with Royal Crest
    Image       Photograph of majestic CPR steam locomotive number 25.The occasion for the photograph is unknown.
    Image     Photograph of majestic CPR steam locomotive number 25.The occasion for the photograph is unknown.
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Downtown Marathon (~1967)
    Downtown Marathon (~1967)
    Image       View shows the CPR rail line 'snaking' its way along the shore. The mill's switching rail line (left) meets the mainline. Boxcars awaiting delivery to the mill or to be picked up by freight trains. A work train is seen on the right side by the train station.
    Image     View shows the CPR rail line 'snaking' its way along the shore. The mill's switching rail line (left) meets the mainline. Boxcars awaiting delivery to the mill or to be ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • CPR Through Marathon
    CPR Through Marathon
    Image       The CPR tracks often defined the boundaries of many communities in Northwestern Ontario. In Marathon, the rail line formed the eastern most boundary from 1944 until about 1954, when new subdivisions started sprouting up 'across the tracks'.
    Image     The CPR tracks often defined the boundaries of many communities in Northwestern Ontario. In Marathon, the rail line formed the eastern most boundary from 1944 until about 1954, when new ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
  • Marathon Corporation - Switching Diesel (~1950)
    Marathon Corporation - Switching Diesel (~1950)
    Image       An unidentified employee beside a switching diesel which was used to move box cars full of pulp bales and tanker cars from the CPR mainline, down to the mill yard. The first switching locomotive that operated at the Marathon Paper Mill, is on display at the museum in Delson, Q.C.
    Image     An unidentified employee beside a switching diesel which was used to move box cars full of pulp bales and tanker cars from the CPR mainline, down to the mill yard. ...
    Marathon District Museum & Historical Society
Outils de Web
Voir autres formats:
Dublin Core | RSS | Atom | Mods | RDF
Partager
Recherche dans ces résultats
Collaborateurs
Médias
Localisation
Afficher tout ...
Cacher ...
Tri par A-Z...
Tri par Scores...
Types d'élément
Années
18801880188118821883188418851886188718881889
18901890189118921893189418951896189718981899
19001900190119021903190419051906190719081909
19101910191119121913191419151916191719181919
19201920192119221923192419251926192719281929
19301930193119321933193419351936193719381939
19401940194119421943194419451946194719481949
19501950195119521953195419551956195719581959
19601960196119621963196419651966196719681969
Fonctions